Hot Frugal Holiday Must Haves!

Search This Site

Thursday, September 30, 2010

The problem with the education system in America…

…is parents.

Before anyone gets their undies in a twitch, hear me out!

I think parents have forgotten the power we hold over the quality of our children’s education. Vast majority of parents earnestly are doing the very best they can for their kids. They work hard to provide nice clothing for them to wear, safe transportation to go places, nutritious food for strong bones and healthy muscles, discipline and boundaries for fostering a strong moral character: an overall stable home.

Yet once their child walks through the dougirl getting on school busble doors of the school building, it’s hands-off! The child’s education is left completely up to the school system to teach our kids.

I don’t believe we do this on purpose. I say “we”, because once upon a time, I did just this. I thought school teachers must know more about HOW to teach my kids how to read, write, add and subtract than I do. I don’t have a teaching degree. Heck, I  don’t have a college degree! I’m not the teaching professional so isn’t it THEIR job to teach my kids all this stuff?

WRONG! After all the troubles my oldest son has experienced in school due to his autism, I have taken back my PARENTAL POWER to affect positive change in my son’s education.

Every new school year, I immediately get in touch with his new teacher(s) via note, email, whatever is most convenient! I am NOT afraid to call or email his teachers, principal, or the specialists he works with whenever I have a question about his progress, homework, behavior or class work. I DO NOT WAIT until the first report card is released before asking for an adjustment in his Individual Education Plan (aka. IEP). I don’t hesitate to tell his teachers he “doesn’t get it” when it comes to homework. New teachers get a quick run-down of his learning style (his learning is optimized by combining visual AND auditory queues).

person using cell phoneParents play a vital role in kids getting the BEST education possible.

WE. have. the. power! We just have to take it back.

No matter whether you work full time or stay at home, it’s possible to take back your parental power. With the technology available to us, it’s easier than before. A simple email or brief phone call is at our fingertips. Schools are using technology more and more too. Bookmark their websites. Group those email addresses. Add their phone numbers to speed dial. Friend them on Facebook and follow them on Twitter.

Immerse yourself in your child’s education. Odd’s are, you’ll know if little Johnny passed his math quiz before he even gets home!!!

BTW, every child is entitled to an IEP if they have trouble learning or low test scores!

Curious about your school’s ranking? Look up their “report card”. NBC is covering the Education Nation Summit in New York City this week. Be sure to check out the interactive apps, informative articles and more at their site EducationNation.com.

*I was not compensated for this post or approached by any third party to post about this topic.*

0 Smart Sayings:

Post a Comment

Find Articles By Topic

American Express Giftcards
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...