Hot Frugal Holiday Must Haves!

Search This Site

Friday, September 10, 2010

Burning Books is the Answer? REALLY???

I rarely discuss politics with anyone other than my husband and few close friends. It’s such an inflammatory subject, my point can get lost in the heated emotions that come from passionate beliefs.

This said, I’m about to broach the subject with you.

Apparently I’ve been living under a rock! There is a man, a pastor in Florida, who was planning to burn the Koran to honor (?) September 11th victims and condemn the actions of the Twin Towers terrorists. He’s not planning on burning one Koran but STACKS of the book!

I’ve been busy preparing for the kids’ first week back to school, my first week in school after 15 years, Wild Man’s birthday, Labor Day and enjoying rare and valuable time with hubby I haven’t watched much any news media over the past few weeks. I. HAVE. MISSED. A LOT!

Now apparently after tons of media coverage, phone calls from the Secretary of Defense, pleas from the White House and a variety of military leaders and I imagine countless other people and some on-again off-again deal with the Mosque in New York the book burning has been “suspended”. After watching the news’ daily/weekly recap the past few days (pick any of the major networks and you’ll see what I’m talking about), there seems to be a whole three ring circus surrounding this “demonstration” but it looks like this pastor has gotten what he wanted: his 15 minutes of fame and international notoriety. (His image is being burned in effigy in some Middle Eastern countries, how much more notorious can you get?)


What the hell is going on in the world? I am tired, oh so tired, of the hate-mongers in the world getting all the press and attention successfully inflaming the world around them. It’s distracting from the work that needs to be done. I consider myself middle of the road. A little left on some things, a little right on others but I feel I want what most people want: lower taxes, more jobs, higher wages, more American made everything, better schools, quality health care and a safe neighborhood to raise my family!

Why can’t the media, politicians and the extremists on both sides of the fence focus on positive actions to bring REAL resolutions to our nation’s most pressing problems? Imagine what could be accomplished if all the energy and creative thinking put into create strife and discord would be put towards creating sound resolutions to our nation’s problems!

I love the beauty of our country allows, even demands, for demonstrations in the conviction of our personal beliefs but all this hate saddens my soul.

Although I don’t want to give any more “press” to this man, I feel the need to speak write about it. (It could be it’s 3am and the pain meds in from my dental visit earlier today have kicked in but I’m watching the news and I’m in complete shock over this and I’m writing!) I’m not linking to any specific press release or news outlet simply because I need to get this off my mind so I can get back to sleep.

Thanks for listening.




FYI: I welcome comments than contribute to the conversation BUT any personal attacks against me or any other commenter will be deleted.

0 Smart Sayings:

Post a Comment

Find Articles By Topic

American Express Giftcards
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...