| Custom Wall Tile Gift Project |
I had some extra blue ceramic bathroom tiles I bought from a yard sale a couple years ago. Since it's an odd number, coasters were out but I didn't want them to go to waste so I finally found a way to put them to good use.
I created these in homage to my boys! As I look at each tile, I see a different aspect of my childrens' personality. I loved how they turned out and here's a quick run down of how I made these personalized wall tiles!This is an easy and cheap way to create customized family wall decor.
Costing under $10, I utized Modge Podge
Project List
| * ceramic tiles * chipboard images * picture hanging wire | * hot glue or cement * Modge Podge * sponge or small paint brush * Folk Art Extra Thick Glaze |
Directions
Gladly submitted to Made by You Mondays, Get Your Craft On!, Things I Love Thursdays, DIY Day and Inspired By.
- Wipe down the ceramic tiles with a damp clean rag or paper towel. While the tiles are drying, select chipboard images you want to use and peel away the foam stickers on the back. I had better success using my fingernail over a craft knife. Tip: Decide on the arrangement of the images on the tile before you start gluing anything down.
- Apply a generous coat of Modge Podge with the sponge or small paint brush. (I used outdoor MP because it’s thicker than regular MP and adheres to the chipboard better.)
- Apply the chipboard images and weight them down with another tile and a book or something heavy on top. Allow to dry for about 15 minutes.
- Apply coat of Modge Podge over the entire tile. Allow to dry completely and follow up with a couple coats of Folk Art Extra Thick Glaze.
- Once the MP and glaze is completely dry, flip over the tile and apply about a 3” segment of picture hanger wire with the hot glue and allow it to completely cool.
- I like the raw edge look but you can hot glue some rick rack or narrow ribbon to the outer edge of the tile.
This project took me about half day including dry time between each coat but I probably could have done it much faster if I had omitted the final coats of thick glaze. The total cost was under $10 since I only had to buy the chipboard art pieces and the glaze.
Gladly submitted to Made by You Mondays, Get Your Craft On!, Things I Love Thursdays, DIY Day and Inspired By.

6 Smart Sayings:
I think those turned out great. I could just use regular stickers, too, don't you think?
That is so cute! I would love to do this for my son's room. Thanks for the idea:)
Great tiles! What a fun project. These would make great gifts too!
These are too cute!
Love the tiles. Modge Podge works wonders. Thanks for sharing.
I can't seem to throw out extra tiles, either! LOL! This is a great idea! Thanks!
rjwhiggins@aol.com
Post a Comment