I have to admit this was the first time I fried green beans. Normally they're steamed or boiled and served with a drizzle of melted bacon grease or butter and salt (remember I said southerners love butter!) I've wanted to fry green beans ever since I saw a commercial for their Fried Green Bean Appetizer at TGI Fridays. I gave it a go the other day and everyone loved the crunchy greenie beanies (except for J-man which I think had more to do with all of us making a big deal about it and how tasty they looked-lol). So here's how I made my Fabulously Fried Green Beans.
Ingredients
Frozen Green Beans
2 Cups Flour
1/2 Cup Corn Meal
Spices
Directions
Preheat 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a skillet on medium heat. Mix flour, corn meal, and any spice combo you like in an oversized bowl. Toss the frozen green beans in water to partially thaw them which also helps the flour mixture stick to the green beans. Pull out the wet green beans and coat in the flour mixture in small batches. Fry in heated oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towel lined dish and enjoy!
Jenn's Tips: The wetter the beans the better your flour coating will turn out. Next time I plan to try soaking my beans in milk instead of water for a better coating. You can also try an egg wash before you flour your beans.
Fried foods are a southern tradition! We fry EVERYTHING! If there's a doubt about how to prepare a dish, we proud southerners have a few guaranteed cooking methods that'll make anyone's mouth water with anticipation: sugar it up, butter it up, or fry it up! That's right, southern cooking is THAT easy and it's a tried and true method pleasing the masses! What have you fried lately???
Be sure to check out this recipe along with many others at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Blissfully Domestic, Homemaker Monday's and Kitchen Tip Tuesdays.


9 Smart Sayings:
Love it!!! I havent tried these yet either but I am going to. Thanks for sharing it I bet it was wonderful!!! :-D
Oh yum! I'm definitely going to try this!
Recent blog post: And this is why I don't shower more often
This sounds soooo good!! :)
Recent blog post: Sweet Corn Bread
yummy!! this sounds so good, thnx!! ;)
Recent blog post: Tempt My Tummy Tuesday!!
Great recipe. I have tried the TGIF's fried green beans, once. They were good. So, good for you. Thanks for linking up to TMTT.
Recent blog post: Tempt My Tummy Tuesday... Enchiladas saved my leftovers!
All I can say is, Yes Please!
Recent blog post: Practically Green Vlog: ReJAVAnate
Hi! I've nominated you for an award.
http://prov3v5n6.blogspot.com/2009/03/award.html :)
Recent blog post: An Award!!
My husband got me to try these at TGIFriday's a couple of weeks ago. At first I thought I would not like them at all....but I actually loved them! Thanks for the recipe!!
Recent blog post: All You Magazine - 2 Years For Only $17.95!
looks like a great way to get kids to eat green beans ;)
Recent blog post: Iced Coffee for TMTT
Post a Comment