Back to school season triggers a whirlwind of activity and chaos with the shopping, coordinating childcare and transportation, and generally adapting to a new daily schedule for the next ten months. Back to school generally triggers another round of Spring-like cleaning for me. Here are a few things on my back to school list you might or might not have thought about:
- Carpet cleaning. I try to do this twice a year: when school starts and near Spring Break. My living room carpet is a light color so it doesn’t take long before it needs a deep cleaning. (A dirt colored carpet would be AWESOME!)
- Closet cleaning. Before we bring in the new back to school wardrobe, we get rid of all the items everyone’s outgrown during the summer (including shoes and winter gear).
- Prep for Winter. Our winter is unlike any other part of the country. Our lowest temps are 40 BELOW zero with around 8 feet of snow. Winter usually hits around late October, so I start getting our Winter gear ready right after the kids are back in class.
- Organize a homework station. Ours is the dining room table but I also clear a drawer from the buffet to dedicate to papers and progress reports I want to save. I also gather up pencils, sharpeners, erasers, scratch paper, etc in a central location.
- Clean out the car. Especially if you plan to transport the kiddos to school everyday, it’s a good idea to make sure it’s free from a summer’s worth debris and trash from trips to the playground, fast food wrappers, loose coins, vacation supplies, and the like.
- Clean the computer and printer. Our school communicates electronically so I like to make sure my email is cleaned and organized, pictures from the previous year are placed on a memory card/stick, printed or whatever, and any other unused programs are wiped from the hard drive. I also double check my browser and computer security settings to make sure everything is still set up correctly. I also like to make sure my printer is in optimum functionality and blow out any dust or debris that collects in the nooks and crevices.
This is just a few of the oddball things “back to school” triggers for my household. What unusual things hit your list this time of year??


0 Smart Sayings:
Post a Comment