Our grocery shopping is usually done every two weeks in the closest major city (approximately 75 miles away) at either Sam’s Club, Super One Foods, or Walmart. I keep a Styrofoam cooler in the back of the van for the frozen goods. Typically it’s a family event where we spend the morning in the city doing something fun with the grocery shopping done before we head home. This has worked well for us. I can focus on my coupons, sales flyers, and shopping lists while hubby maintains order amongst the little people in our happy clan!
Since hubby started driving a truck again, my shopping strategy has changed. Instead of dragging him to the grocery store to wrangle the kiddos during his valuable “home time”, I take them all shopping by myself. YEP! I take the four fellas grocery shopping all by my little ole self 75 miles away from home!
No, I’m not crazy! I just want to spend our precious family time with trucker hubby doing fun things…even it it’s just hanging around the campfire…instead of traveling the shopping aisles!
I’ve managed to keep things under control in the store and on the long ride to the store with a few key strategies.
- Get the list together. I write down EVERYTHING I need from the store. Once I’m sure I’ve got it all on paper, I rewrite it based on the store’s layout to make shopping easier and faster.
- Get to know the sales of the week. I scour the store’s weekly circulars both in print and online to find the store with the best deals on the most products I plan to buy.
- Ditch most of the coupons! GASP! SHOCK! HORROR! I know!!! Using coupons with the four fellas in two is simply too hectic and turns my grocery shopping trip into a marathon instead of a sprint. This is why I pick the store with the best deals on the MAJORITY of the items on my list.
- Stock the van! Make sure video games are charged, books are packed, and anything else they will need to stay occupied on the drive.
- EAT FIRST! Normally this is the only time we eat at a fast food joint. It’s a nice treat for them and ensures their tummies are full before we hit the grocery store.
- Get in! Get out…FAST! By the time I get to the store, I know exactly what’s on my list and the deal I want to snag at the store. The kids stick together, follow me, and I quickly grab what I need and hit the checkout counter.
I know there’s plenty of money I’m leaving on the shelf BUT it’s temporary! It’s the best shopping strategy I found until two of the four fellas go back to their mom’s in a couple of weeks. My shelves are stocked. I haven’t lost a kid! And I’m not completely frazzled when I get home! lol
Would I shop this way with four guys in tow ALL THE TIME??? Probably not but this is what works for me at this moment! How do you handle it when your normal shopping routine is thrown out of whack?


0 Smart Sayings:
Post a Comment