Hot Frugal Holiday Must Haves!

Search This Site

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Cupcake Rescue Tips

With the holiday baking season in full swing, there's bound to be a batch of cupcakes or a sheet cake or two that doesn't want to come out like it should. Here's a couple of cupcake rescue ideas that will prevent you from re-baking another batch.

If part of your cupcake doesn't release freely from the pan simply turn it over with the damaged side up. Place it on a wire rack over a baking sheet. Dollop icing (store bought or home made) over it. Don't worry about smoothing it out, just plop it on there. Make sure to get some icing on the damaged area. Pop the cupcake back in the oven for just a few minutes. The icing starts to melt and drizzles down into the porous cakey holes looking oh so delicious and tasting even better! Let the icing completely cool before you transfer to another dish for serving, transporting or storing.


Looks like yummy sweet lava!!!

Another tip is to make cake pops or truffles with it. Check out Bakerella's site for all the yummy details but basically you crumb your baked cake, mix in a can of frosting, form into balls, dip in melted candy coating and decorate. I've tried it with a red velvet cake/cream cheese frosting. It's good but wayyy to sweet for me! I actually prefer the cake parts better than the frosting so I will reduce the amount of frosting I use in the future. Mixing in the entire can of frosting makes it a little to sugary sweet for me but the kids L-O-V-E them!

3 Smart Sayings:

Teri Milnes said...

They look pretty good to me!  Kids would love the "lava" idea!! ;)

Sharon said...

wow!  another great tip...  I wish I knew about this last month when my cupcakes went ker-plop!  (I have no idea how to spell that)

Jennifer said...

:D Normally I don't mind making another batch since I usually eat the messed up ones anyway but with all the holiday baking-I need things to run as smoothly as possible! No time for redo's & I certainly don't need the extra calories this time of year! lol
Frugally Fun-Jenn

Post a Comment

Find Articles By Topic

American Express Giftcards
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...