Hot Frugal Holiday Must Haves!

Search This Site

Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie

I can't take credit for this one. This is a recipe from one of my favorite Food Network chef's, Alton Brown. He's "in the know" when it comes to chocolate chip cookies. I watched this Good Eats episode all about the beloved chocolate chip cookie a couple weeks back. I never knew there were so many variables to creating the perfect chocolate chip cookie. From the type of flour used, brown to white sugar ratio, even using melted versus softened butter all play a key role in finding your perfect cookie.

I made The Chewy earlier this week. The recipe calls for bread flour but I used regular all purpose and just gave it a whirr in the food processor to refine a bit more. They cookies turned out yummy, soft, and chewy. Just like Alton promised. This was all that was left by the next day.

Ingredients

  • 2 sticks unsalted butter
  • 2 1/4 cups bread flour I didn't have bread flour and used all purpose flour instead.
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Hardware:

  • Ice cream scooper (#20 disher, to be exact) I used a tablespoon to scoop the dough.
  • Parchment paper
  • Baking sheets
  • Mixer

Directions

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside. I dumped all the flour, salt, and baking soda in the food processor and gave it a few pulses to sift and refine the flour.

Pour the melted butter in the mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. I did not chill the dough. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. I set my timer for five minutes and checked it every 5 minutes with total cooking time around 12 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

Click here for Alton Brown's Printer Friendly Recipe directly from Food Network's site.

**Don't forget to enter my Delightful Spa Basket Giveaway. It would make an excellent gift this holiday season!**

Proudly submitted to the following blog carni's:
Grace's Kitchen, What’s Cooking Wednesday, Ultimate Recipe Swap, Things I Love Thursday, Friday Feasts, Foodie Friday, Our Crazy Kitchen, Finer Things Friday, and Beautiful Life

9 Smart Sayings:

Teri Milnes said...

Yum! I am making CC cookies tomorrow - maybe I will try this recipe!

Recent blog:=- wordless wednesday: under lock and stool

Jennifer said...

This was my first time making choc chip cookies from scratch. It's very good and easier to make than I originally thought.
Frugally Fun-Jenn

Geri@heartnsoulcooking said...

YUMMY!!! recipe for a family favorite. It's a little different using bread flour.
Geri

Recent blog:=- CHRISTMAS RAINBOW COOKIES

Yvonne@StoneGable said...

My favorite... Alton Brown... and Chocolate Chip Cookies. I have bread flour and am going to give this a try. I am always in the hunt for great CC cookies!
Yvonne

Anonymous said...

I've never meet a cookie I didn't like. Throw in chocolate chips develop by Alton Brown and I have dreams of sugar plums. Your recipe sounds wonderful.

Recent blog:=- Butterscotch Pudding - Foodie Friday

THe Diaper Diaries said...

I am quite partial to my mom's chocolate chip cookies, but I agree with the above commenter, I rarely meet a cookie I don't like :)

Mellisa~Chinook Jewelry said...

"The Chewy" is totally my go-to cookie recipe! You can't go wrong with it :)

Recent blog:=- Eye Candy...

Jennifer said...

I think so too, Melissa. I've got to make a new batch tomorrow! I'm jonesing pretty bad for some good choc chip cookies! I'm also going to make a batch of these Christmas Cookies with white chocolate chips. MMMM.
Frugally Fun-Jenn

Shan @ the fairy blogmother said...

Great cookie recipe. We're big Alton fans here. Thanks for sharing it for WCW.

Recent blog:=- friday high five - the wishlist

Post a Comment

Find Articles By Topic

American Express Giftcards
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...