Hot Frugal Holiday Must Haves!

Search This Site

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Yep...Fried Pie

Fried pie will probably be a popular lunch box treat for my son this year. It is self sealed and portion controlled making this a SUPER simple lunch box treat.

There's so many tasty ways to enjoy fried pies. Savory. Sweet. Hearty. Decadent. They make the perfect main course, appetizer or dessert! It's also fabulous at party's, picnics, and large gatherings!
  • cookie dough
  • ham, cream cheese, and sharp cheddar
  • tomatoes and cream cheese
  • fruit and jam
  • marinara, mozarella, and pepperoni
  • shredded meat with gravy
  • shredded chicken with taco or enchilada sauce and cream cheese
  • pot pie filling with mixed veggies
  • candy bar chunks
  • marshmallow and chocolate chunks
  • peanut butter and chocolate
  • peanut butter and jelly or jam
  • bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, and cheese
  • baked beans with crumbled bacon
The list goes on and on! Fried pies can be made with your favorite pie dough recipe-and yes, it's perfectly fine if your favorite pie dough comes from the refrigerator section of the grocery store. ;)
Here's my recipe:
  • Heat vegetable oil to 375 degrees. (I use a deep fryer)
  • Mix 1 cup all purpose flour, 4 tbsp shortening, and enough cold water to form a ball of dough.
  • Roll it out on a lightly floured surface to about 1/8" inch thick.
  • Use a biscuit cutter or a large glass to cut rounds.
  • Place filling on one side of the round, wet the outer edge with water, fold over and pinch closed. Pinch the edges several times to make sure it seals properly.
  • Fry till light golden brown-usually around 4 minutes.
  • Drain on a rack placed inside a baking pan.
  • Roll sweet fried pies in granulated sugar or top hearty pies with shredded cheese or garlic salt or other spice combo.
  • Store in air tight containers in refrigerator or freezer. Reheat in microwave or oven (oven maintains crisp flakey pie texture).
Dough Tips: Lots of people use butter instead of shortening in their pie dough. The trick with butter is to work with it quickly so it stays cold. I don't have a food processor making it difficult to work with the cold butter quickly enough to get a good pie crust. Butter flavored shortening will give you the buttery taste without the hassle of working with pie dough.

Recipe Tips: I find half moon shapes are simpler and work better in the fryer than a whole circle shape. Half moons flip easier in the fryer and cook more evenly. If you are really good with frying pies, then go for more fun shapes like hearts, stars, etc. *You don't need a deep fryer to fry pies. You can use vegetable oil in a skillet or pot just make sure it's heat to around 375. Too hot and it cooks too fast, temp too low and it gets soggy instead of crisp and flaky. *If for some reason you don't want fried pie, simply prepare as above, scoring the top of the pie dough and bake at 350 till golden brown. I'm southern so I like 'em fried!




proudly submitted to:
Blessed with Grace

7 Smart Sayings:

Teri Milnes said...

Sounds yummy! Have you ever tried frying jelly beans? They are a big hit at the fair these days! Is there anything you can't fry!! :-)

Jennifer said...

Fried jelly beans sounds DELISH. I'll have to try that one out for sure!!!
Frugally Fun-Jenn

Guest said...

I might have to do baked pies, but all these ideas sound fun.

Recent undefined:=-

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Hey, Jenn. Glad you could join us for TMTT, this week. I love fried pies. For a really special treat, we have a place in our town that sell them. You can get them with just about anything in them. Woohoo! My grandmother made fried pies. It is a memory that take me back to my childhood. So, I was glad to see that your post was about the fried pie!! Thanks for the recipe and for linking up.

Recent blog:=- Tempt My Tummy Tuesday....The Tostada

Lana said...

Oh such memories! Lisa@BlessedwithGrace is my sister and as soon as I read your post I thought of our grandmother.
Thanks for bringing back such good memories.

Recent blog:=- Help... Kindergarten blues

Gwen Jones said...

I had a friend from North Carolina and she said that if they could deep fry water, they would have!
Gwen
http://frugal-bugle.com

Jennifer said...

Gwen-That's so funny...and TRUE! As a matter of fact, I just got done frying up a batch of zuchinni squash! It may not be the healthiest way to eat but-gosh-it's good!!!

Post a Comment

Find Articles By Topic

American Express Giftcards
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...