Search This Site
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
Back to School Savings Tips
Back to School Sales are in full swing in many areas. Some are already in school while others, like us, don't start school till after Labor Day. After speaking to friends who've already began school, I'm reminded of a few tips to help prepare my kids for starting school without crushing my budget.
Get the teacher's supply list as early as you can. Many teachers have a specific supplies required for their classrooms outside the normal markers, crayons, pens, pencils, & notebook requirement. Knowing your child's complete school supply list will aid in your hunt for the lowest priced items.
Tip: Try calling or emailing the school's secretary or principal a month before school starts to find out who your child's assigned to. If student/teacher assignments have not been made then ask when the assignments will be completed so you can get an early copy of the teacher's supply list.
Reuse last year's supplies. If last year's scissors, rulers, pencil sharpeners, etc aren't worn out then reuse them for this school year.
Tip: I combine several bottles of unused white glue into one bottle. Instead of buying two or three bottles of glue, I buy just one!
Buy regular school supplies year round. You know you're student son/daughter will need notebooks, pencils, markers, crayons, glue, a ruler & pencil sharpener. Buy those items when they're on sale at the office supply store, yard sales, thrift stores, etc. What ever is not used for school will surely come in handy for home craft projects or even in a classmate's birthday gift bag.
Tip: Don't forget dry erase markers, red pens, etc for teachers. Teachers go through lots of supplies they pay for directly out of their pockets. If you find a 2-for-1 on dry erase markers, chalk, or some other teacher-esq supply, pick it up. You're child's teacher will appreciate it!
Get THRIFTY! Check out all the local consignment and thrift stores for the back to school wardrobe. Goodwill, Plato's Closet, Salvation Army, and Once Upon A Child are great places to search for bargains on clothes. Hit the mall during killer sales and save even more by shopping during your county or state's Tax Free Weekend.
Tip: Routinely buy a size bigger when you shop to stay ahead of the last minute back to school shopping rush.
Stock up on Freebies!!! Many county fairs, conventions, and businesses give pencils, pens, and other office/school supply items as promotional gifts. Snag as many as you can to avoid buying those items for school. Check for online freebies and promotions too!
I've shared my tips. Now it's time to share your back to school savings strategies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 Smart Sayings:
Something else I do (school just started yesterday for us) - I stock up on back to school items with the back-to-school sales (they usually are the best deals) that I know will be used year-round or needed for the next year. Like our store had 24pk crayons 10/1 - I bought 20. Marble composition books 3/$1 - I bought 30 (we had to have 15 for this year).
Thanks Kim! Great tip! I'm hoping as we near the beginning of school, I'll see deals like this in our area stores!
Post a Comment