Hot Frugal Holiday Must Haves!

Search This Site

Sunday, May 16, 2010

My Wild Weekend

Blooming Flowers The day started beautifully. Sunshine. Light breeze. Temps near 80. I really could not ask for much more!

This was the first REALLY great day for outdoor play we’ve seen in a while in Minnesota.

As a family, we rode our bikes to the post office to retrieve the mail. Made a wide loop back to the house. Enjoying the ride and quality time together!

Our lawn was cut. LOVE the smell of fresh cut grass in the Spring!!! The garden was tilled. Time for more play. Hide n seek. Tag. Army of soldiers. It was all fun…until it wasn’t!
Playing Army SoldiersWild Man and I were about to enjoy the swings together. He loves to swing with mommy! Mommy loves the time together. He’s loaded on my lap and I can feel it before it happens.

I loose my balance.


Hubby was on the phone with a friend just a few yards away. I can hear him talking about his friend’s trip to the sale barn. I close my eyes and brace myself.  I try to adjust my hold on Wild Man so he is not injured or tangled in the swing.

I land on my back, knocking the breath from me. He lands on top of me. The back of my head hits the ground HARD, then bounces forward making contact with his chin.  I don’t remember if there was any crying. All I remember is Wild Man being lifted off of my chest, a flash of blood and everyone asking if I was okay! I keep asking how my boy is. I keep touching my head to see if I am the one bleeding.

I’m not the one bleeding. Wild Man’s chin is split by the crash with my forehead. I’m still disoriented but I manage to get on my feet and we determine he needs to see a doctor. I don’t know if it was the shock of the whole situation or if I sustained a mild concussion but I could barely get all the paperwork filled out.

Wild Man after his stitchesPaperwork is done…FINALLY! The doctor arrives…FINALLY! He needs stitches! Damn! Hubby stays in the room with Wild Man while J and I sit in the lobby watching cartoons. Minutes later (only if feels like forever), they emerge and Wild Man is ready for dinner and more outside play! 

Fast forward to bath time, four hours later: Wild Man’s decided the stitches need to go. He somehow pulls all six stitches out! To my horror, he’s quite proud of this accomplishment.

One panicked phone call later, the doctor says his would will heal without stitches. We need to keep it covered with a Band-Aid and Neosporin to speed up the healing process and minimize the scarring.

Today, he’s played and played and played. No pain. No tugging at the Band-Aid. Just his normal rowdy playful self. Kids are resilient!!!

Me? I feel like I was hit by a truck! Hopefully my achy head, neck, shoulders and ribs will be better tomorrow. I just wished I was half as resilient as Wild Man!
Playing Army again AFTER the ER visit

2 Smart Sayings:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I had such a knot in my stomach reading this. He actually pulled the stiches out ~ OMG! When my son was 2 he had stitches on his chin and you can't even see it now. My husband lost his balance on a ladder and knocked him to the ground. I am so glad that he is okay.

MeenyMoe said...

I was holding my breath reading your story! Took me back to years ago when my sweet daughter, at age 2, fell at the babysitter's and cut her forehead on a wooden couch arm. When I got there to pick her up, she had a bandaid on it. I pulled it off to look at it and the blood started pouring! She only had to have one stitch but sitting there in the ER room with her and seeing them wrap her like a mummy in a sheet to keep her from moving was all I could take. Every time they stuck her boo-boo, her little feet would point downward and she would scream bloody murder. I cried harder than she did! I'm glad he's okay. I'm glad you're okay too.

Post a Comment

Find Articles By Topic

American Express Giftcards
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...