Celebrity British Chef, Jamie Oliver, has a new show debuting tonigh on ABC. Food Revolution takes place in Huntington, WV. A recent study showed this town to be the unhealthiest town in America. Their eating habits, not unlike many Americans, are horrible. Full of fast food and convenient over processed pre-packaged ready to eat foods. This has lead to a higher obesity rating among adults AND children in the area. Higher health related problems and increased death rates are also effects of their unhealthy eating habits.
Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution sets out to change America’s eating habits, one family, one child, one school, one person at a time. This grass root effort started in England to empower people to eat better. Now Jamie Oliver has brought his Food Revolution to America. Many people feel it’s too hard or takes too much time to make delicious nutritious food. Jamie’s Food Revolution has come to America to change that perception like it did in England.
He’s tackling the kids in a school system who’s only exposure to freshly prepared food is the bread the lovely lunch ladies prepare every day. Everything else is precooked frozen food simply reheated for the children. Full of sodium, sugar, and tons of preservatives, it’s hardly what I would call nutritious but considering all the red tape involved in changed a school’s lunch program, I can see how and why food like this ends up on the kids’ plates.
I’m am fortunate. My kid’s school offers fresh whole fruit, whole grain breads, and reduced fat milk as part of their daily lunch routine. Yes there is still plenty of precooked frozen foods served but I think you would be hard pressed to find a school, especially a public school, who makes everything from scratch every day. I watched the one hour sneak peak of Food Revolution last Sunday after Desperate Housewives. I am VERY INTERESTED to see how he transforms Huntington’s public school’s lunch program to incorporate fresh wholesome food the kids find appetizing and yummy. I agree with Jamie, what good is putting good-for-you food on the the plate if the kids end up throwing it in the trash!
I’m also interested to see how Jamie’s community kitchen changes the city’s eating habits. His goal is to establish a community kitchen where people in the city can learn how to cook and prepare a nutritious meal for their family…FOR FREE! I imagine something like this would do very well in most cities and towns across America. After seeing the one hour episode, I can’t wait to see tonight’s two hour series premier.
This is a revolution I can get behind.
Click the banner above to learn more about Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. You can even sign the petition to show your support. Click to view a trailer of the Jamie’s Food Revolution.
Jamie is also scheduled to be on Oprah later today so be sure to check him out there too.
*This is not a compensated post. I have not received anything in exchange for this post. I strongly feel American’s need to make a conscious effort to eat better and reduce our dependence on convenient over processed foods. The opinions on my blog are 100% mine.
Technorati Tags: Food Revolution, Jamie Oliver, Food, British, Chef, Huntington, America, foods, healthy eating, death rate, England, perception, ABC, television, food show, TV premier,bread,grain,breads,Desperate Housewives, kitchen, FREE, cities, towns,episode, series, trailer,Oprah Winfrey

2 Smart Sayings:
I saw the first show last Sunday and it was awesome. Can't wait to watch it tonight.
I am really looking forward to seeing this series. I am a massive fan of Jamie Oliver.
Post a Comment