Hot Frugal Holiday Must Haves!

Search This Site

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Playpen Controversy???

The new video from Juice Box Jungle is all about the playpen controversy. I never realized this was such a hot button in the parenting community. One side of the playpen controversy believes it is a great parental asset and tool while others...well lets just say they don't like the use of playpens. Me? I fall in between the two extremes. I use a portable playpen in various circumstances.

I find it easier to simply make the common areas of my home (living room, dining room, and kiddo's room) toddler friendly. I've been fortunate enough to live in houses with a floor plan I can conveniently and easily secure these areas of the home for my kids. Baby gates and latched doors have provided enough containment for my little ones! If I had large open doorways and over-sized rooms then I'd probably rely more on the playpen.

All three of my children have spent time in a playpen. Usually during travel. It's a 'me' thing. I feel they will sleep better on their own sheets with the familiar scents of home...not to mention the peace of mind knowing my sheets and playpen are germ and pest free-maybe not totally germ free but at least it's OUR germs! I definitely use the playpen when we go camping or fishing to keep them safe while the adults are busy with other things. Like freeing fishing line from the tree they just caught or setting up a campfire to roast marshmallows!!!

The key ingredient for me: Balance. Playpen use. TV time. Video game play. Pretend play. Outdoor time. Food choices. It's all about moderation and balance. I believe too much of any one thing can be bad. Too much of one food throws your diet and health into a tailspin. Too much TV and video games leads to increased violence and agitation. Balance and moderation.


More parenting videos on JuiceBoxJungle



2 Smart Sayings:

debby said...

My mother used a playpen with me. I used a playpen with my two children. Obviously it shouldn't be used as a babysitter. I think that there are times in the day when I could not have functioned if I didn't have one. I could shower safely or go off into the kitchen to check on dinner and not have to worry. Sure if they are being used all day you could call them a jail. It is a safe place for your child when you have a few things to do that require your attention.

Recent blog:=- LOVING MY SKYE

Teri Milnes said...

I have a play pen, but hardly ever get it out. In fact, I only got it out once as a "play pen" but that was just for fun and not because I needed the time..... I didn't know there was a controversy about it. But I am in the middle with my opinion, like you.

Recent blog:=- new favorites

Post a Comment

Find Articles By Topic

American Express Giftcards
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...