My Frugal Garden has turned out better this year than last. Besides a couple intruders nibbling at my plants when it first went in, I haven't had any problems. I did alter my original plan somewhat due to the unusually long winter this year and the flooding we had in the area. We have a short cool summer growing season living in zone 3. It's especially hard to get the garden going when you still see snow on Mother's Day! lol Instead of sowing everything from seeds or rooting from other veggies, I bought a few sprout plants from the greenhouse to guarantee a harvest of some of our favorite things.
Grown from greenhouse sprouts: broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, squash, onion and eggplant.
Grown from seeds: Jalapeno, Banana, & Bell peppers, carrots, squash, parsnips, watermelon, and turnips
Everything but the parsnips are growing well. I had potatoes growing in an old laundry hamper but we had a freak storm come through and blow the hamper into the neighbors yard. Apparently it was too much trauma for the young plant since it never recovered. Next year I'd like to put in raspberries, get my watermelon in earlier, and definitely secure my potato planter! I'd also like to get a few pots of marigolds around the yard and garden to prevent any four-legged pests from getting into anything!



2 Smart Sayings:
your garden looks so pretty. not that i know what veggies are suppose to look at, but the flowers are nice :-P
your garden looks so pretty. not that i know what veggies are suppose to look at, but the flowers are nice
Post a Comment