It appears there's quite a debate over how to deal with teens who sext. Should the young person sending sexy images be criminally charged with distributing pornogrophy or child pornogrophy? If so, then this crime forces them to register as a sex offender. Is that a fair punishment? Should this be classified as criminal intent or social problem? Here's the basic argument as I understand it:
Young people are simply expressing themselves in a normal fashion using the technology available. The "outdated" sex offender's law hasn't caught up with today's technology.
Personally, I think kids are getting cell phones way too early in life along without any usage guidelines. My eight year old son has friends with cell phones! Why does an eight year old need a cell phone? Of course my son wants one since his friends have one but right now he doesn't need one. Cell phones have a place in our society and even in our children's lives but we, as parents, have to be responsible. You simply cannot give a child or teen any sort of interactive technology and NOT teach them how to properly and safely use it. It would be like putting them behind the wheel of the car without teaching them how to stop the vehicle!
I don't condone anyone's behavior in the scenerio's I described above by any stretch. I wouldn't send a racy picture of myself to my husband for fear of internet hackers plastering my very embarrassing photo across the internet for GAZILLIONS of people to see. HORROR! SHAME! As a woman, I will not make myself vulnerable to that type of ridcule. If I don't snap it and send it, or say it and text it, then no one can use it against me! On the other hand, there should be no toleration for sending a letter, text, sext, picture, whatever to a group contact list simply because your mad, upset, or hurt. We need to teach our youth realistic and adequate ways to deal with their passions and desires as well as the pain and anger. After all, they're just nothing more than raging hormones at this stage which can be dangerous without the proper guidance!
Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy
If you have trouble viewing the story, here's the direct link.


0 Smart Sayings:
Post a Comment