I'm kicking myself because I don't have a picture of the final dish so you'll have to use your imagination. Envision over-sized tender carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower mixed in a rich brown gravy sauce with rice and beef tips. The smell or flame broiled beef mixed with aromatic spices reminds me of a steak house. A good steak house!
This was a very last minute and quickly tossed together dish I wasn't even sure the family would like. Boy was I wrong! They scarfed it down like they hadn't eaten in a week! I hope you enjoy!
Ingredients
1 lb Beef Tips
1 tbs Olive Oil
Salt to taste
4 cups Mixed Vegetables
1 packet Au Jus Gravy mix
3/4 cup Rice
Water
Directions
Over medium heat, brown beef tips in olive oil and salt till meat is very dark, almost burnt. While cooking meat, mix up Au Jus Gravy per directions. (Alternatively, you can use a super concentrated beef stock) Once the meat is done, stir in gravy which will be thin right now until all the brown bits off the pan come up. Add frozen veggies and rice cooking till rice is done.
Jenn's Tips: If you use fresh veggies, add them when the rice is nearly done and more water may need to be added to allow the rice to cook properly. Add canned veggies after the rice is done continue to cook till veggies are heated through. Short on veggies, add more rice. No rice, use pasta. Have left over chicken, use it instead. This is another recipe great for substitutions.
This week's recipe is being posted at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Blissfully Domestic, and Tammy's Kitchen Tip Tuesday.

10 Smart Sayings:
Sounds good! It has been a long time that our budget has allowed for beef tips. Did you get them marked down or a really good deal?
Recent blog post: 13 Uses For Leftover Lemons (and Oranges)
We haven't had beef tips in forever. Normally the only beef I buy is ground beef/chuck and flank steak with the occasional sirloin tucked in there. I lucked out on a family sized package of tips marked down as a Manager's Special so I snatched it up. We used the first half the tips for fajitas and froze the remaining half till the other day. Ground beef, diced pork or shredded chicken would be good too.
Frugally Fun
Jenn
Yum! Looks great!
Oh I love this! I have a feeling even the wee ones would go for this. Thanks for sharing! So beef and gravy cook with the rice; you don't take the beef part out?
Recent blog post: Sping Fling: Spring Is Here!
Sounds great. I love your description. It was better than a picture! Thanks for the recipe and linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.
Recent blog post: Tempt My Tummy Tuesday....tricks, tips, and finds
I have learned to be flexible in what cuts of meat to use when cooking. My
hubsand loves beef sticks marinated in Italian dressing on the grill. It is
a splurge! I have never found any marked down to a reasonable price, so I
don't blame you for snagging those up!
My kids LOVED it-even with the oversized veggies! Just cook the beef first, add the sauce, rice, and frozen veggies. By the time the rice is done, the veggies are tender. If you use smaller frozen veggies, then you may want to wait till the rice is half done before tossing them in the pot so they don't turn to mush! It's a one pot dish-I LOVE one pot dishes!
Frugally Fun
Jenn
Sounds tasty. Thanks for sharing!
Do you put a cover on the rice, for it to cook? I always cook rice covered to steam it. Also, I had beef tips and rice pilaf at a restaurant, and there was the flavor of soy in it. yours sounds yummy, but have you ever tried with a bit of soy sauce? I live in Louisiana, so we love rice and gravy!
I don't put a cover on it when I cook rice but that's just how I cook it. I also like to add all sorts of things to the water when I cook rice. Chicken or beef bouillon, onions, garlic, butter, Worcestershire, soy...you get the idea.
Post a Comment