Hot Frugal Holiday Must Haves!

Search This Site

Friday, January 9, 2009

I'm back online-FINALLY!

Finally I'm back online! It's been one heck of a couple weeks. Shortly after my last post, my laptop's power cord broke! No power, no computer, no blogging=SUPER SAD! At least I was able to get my craft on while offline. I learned to knit and crochet. I like both but find my knitted  pieces are prettier. I seem to loose stitches in my crochet easier than with knitting so the final product doesn't turn out as I hope! I'm not fast at either but it's a nice calming craft I can do while the kids play or the hubby watches football.

A few days after Christmas my dairyman hubby popped a disk out of his lower back trying to get a heifer on her feet. After two weeks of rest, several visits to the chiropractor, muscle relaxers from the ER, and daily doses of Tylenol, he seems to be slowly healing. The disc is still out of place but the muscle has healed and the inflammation has subsided so he's moving around MUCH better. We're now waiting on the worker's comp insurance company to get a MRI scheduled so the doctors can determine if surgery is necessary. He's a salaried employee so the dairy's continued to pay him his normal salary even though he's only been able to perform light duty work .

Our 3 year anniversary was Tuesday but, with dairyman's back trouble, we kept it to a simple evening at home. I cooked steaks and fried some taters (dairyman's favorite meal), we watched some TV together and spent a very peaceful night together! Peace and quiet are under-rated in my house so I really enjoyed it! LOL We don't typically exchange gifts for birthdays and holidays. We save up for a big buy throughout the year. I want a sewing machine and some new cookware and he wants a new flat screen TV. When we have the money put back, that's what our gift to each other will be.

All may have to wait a while longer than planned. On Wednesday, dairyman was told the dairy is shutting down in a few weeks. His layoff was immediately effective with the dairy only keeping hourly personnel till all the cows were sold. There was a veiled insinuation the dairy may reopen in the future with fewer partners making it more lucrative but most of the current partners wanted out fearful they cannot withstand the economic recession. The dairy did give him a severance check which will keep us afloat till the end of next month. His unemployment benefit should also help quite a bit. We're hoping all his back problems will be resolved rather quickly so he can find adequate work. In the meantime, we're tightening the bootstraps a little more & smiling cause no matter what, we have each other and have survived worse!

Dairyman n Jenn

del.icio.us Tags:

0 Smart Sayings:

Post a Comment

Find Articles By Topic

American Express Giftcards
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...