Hot Frugal Holiday Must Haves!

Search This Site

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Better than Cakesters Recipe

Today I was watching TV surfing Tempt My Tummy Tuesday Blog Carnival when I saw an Oreo Cakester commercial. Suddenly inspiration hit! I can make this easily, quickly, and cheaper than if I bought them in the store. Off to the kitchen I dashed and this is the results.

Better Than Cakester

I made the filling pink in honor of Valentine's Day but you can easily customize it with food coloring for Super Bowl Sunday, Ground Hog Day, St Patrick's Day, etc. Here's the easy recipe.

071

I started with my Cake Mix Cookie Recipe using the lemon flavored mix & reducing the water to about 1/4 cup. Bake cookies as original recipe instructs. You'll also need marshmallows, food coloring & flavored extract is optional.

066

Make the filling while the cookies bake. ALERT: THIS IS EXTREMELY MESSY (don't worry-it easily dissolves in warm water!)I started with 7 marshmallows at a time for easier handling. Add marshmallows to GLASS bowl, add 2 tsp water & food coloring (if desired). Microwave at 15 second intervals and stir. If mixture is too thick add more water a teaspoon at a time. It's very easy to go to from so sticky you can't work with it to marshmallow soup. If you find yourself with soup, add another marshmallow and stir till dissolved.

077 

Once the cookies have cooled & the filling is made, it's time to assemble. Spoon a generous amount onto a cookie's bottom then place another bottom side of the cookie on top.

072

GENTLY push them together. Set aside allowing the filling to set. Make sure you are laying the sandwich cookies on a level surface to set, otherwise the tops tend to slide a little before the marshmallow filling has completely set up.

074

Jenn's Tip: I've noticed some cake mixes & flavors require different amounts of water to get the dough to the right consistency. Start with 1/4 cup and add more as necessary to avoid soupy batter. To give your BT Cakester cookies a pop of flavor flavor, add a capful of extract. I used Orange Extract in my cake mix but you can add it to the filling as well.  Add a little festivity to your cookies by adding sprinkles or colored sugar to HALF the cookies before baking and using the the non-decorated cookie to the bottom!

Note about the filling: I tried to melt the marshmallows in a ziploc bag to easily pipe it onto the cookie. This resulted in melting the baggie. If you try this, I would suggest a low microwave setting and shorter time intervals. I will try this again the next time I make these cookies. Please let me know if you find an easier, less messy way to make the filling!

0 Smart Sayings:

Post a Comment

Find Articles By Topic

American Express Giftcards
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...