Hot Frugal Holiday Must Haves!

Search This Site

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Beans N Rice Recipe

Being from the south, both beans and rice are kitchen staples used almost daily but certainly weekly. I never realized how foods tend to be used more in certain regions than in others. Since our move to Minnesota last April, I've had requests for several of my southern recipes. The two most frequently requested recipes are for my homemade biscuits followed by my infamous red beans n rice. As requested and promised to my twitter friend shweetpotato (who designs the cutest graphics), here's the secret family recipe for red beans n rice.

A few things to know about my cooking style:
  1. I don't like measurements (I only do it when I bake or make candy) so I use Rachael Ray's method of guestimating by cupping my hand for a measuring spoon.
  2. I use what's on hand so I frequently substitute ingredients when I do follow a recipe which means I don't always make the same thing the same way
  3. My motto: When in doubt-either fry it, add sugar, or butter to it (sometimes I do all three)!
Now back to the recipe!

Ingredient List
1 lbs Dry Beans (pintos, red, kidney, etc.)
1 cup Dry Rice
1 lbs Kielbasa Sausage (or ground meat or sausage)
1 14 oz Can Diced Tomatoes (any flavor) optional
Salt
Pepper (to taste)

Directions
Sort the dry beans and remove the bad ones. Rinse lightly in cold running water and add to crockpot. Pour enough fresh water to cover beans plus about 3 inches. Add about 1 tablespoon of salt, pepper, sliced sausage (or cooked crumbled meat) and turn on crockpot on low for 6-8 hours (or high for 4-6 hours). Approximately 30 minutes before serving, add can of undrained diced tomatoes and rice. Dish is ready to eat as soon as rice is cooked.

WARNING: This dish is VERY filling. It will easily feed a family of 4! You thought I was going to sing the song right? Well, now that you mention it: Beans! Beans! The magical fruit, the more you eat, the more you toot!-gets my kids to eat them every time!)

Some bean tips:
  • Wait till the the beans are fully cooked BEFORE adding any tomatoes. The acid in tomatoes actually stops the cooking process. Don't ask me why this happens, just wait till the end to add any high acid fruit!
  • Salt the water BEFORE the beans are fully cooked to effectively enhance the flavor of the beans. Otherwise, it's very difficult to flavor them they way you like!
  • No soaking is necessary if you cook them in the crockpot! This is why I only cook dry beans this way.
Check out Kelley Bean Co. recipes for other recipes. BTW, corn bread goes great with this dish!!!!

0 Smart Sayings:

Post a Comment

Find Articles By Topic

American Express Giftcards
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...